WV Law Geek's Twitter Updates

    follow me on Twitter

    Wednesday, November 21, 2007

    OFF TOPIC: Taking athletic fanaticism too far...

    My fellow Eer Fans, you won't find me going off topic very often on here but this is I would argue tangentially related to Mountaineer sports and I felt compelled to opine.

    I have been a fan of Mountaineer football for all of my life. I was blessed and am quite thankful to be able to go to games throughout my life. My parents took incredible care of me and gave me opportunities that many others never received. Throughout that period if time. 35+ years in my case I would be called a Mountaineer fan (maybe more accurately a fanatic). I have placed an inordinate amount of importance upon the success of this College's athletic success. I have fallen into miner depressions when the Eers didn't accomplish the goals I had set for them. I have had mania-like events when they achieve. All in all I would say that I am extremely passionate about Mountaineer sports. I tend to give our coaches a blind trust to get it done. I am loyal to a fault to Mountaineer players current and graduates. I tend to drink this gold and blue cool-aid like it is the nectar of the gods. I guess the point I am making is that I have danced on a line of fanaticism, which some might suggest is in excess. I don't see me relenting of course. But I did find a line that I can not cross when it comes to athletics. It is merely a hobby and a game! There are things of far greater significance and import than the success or failure of an athletic team on the hardwood or turf.

    Nick Saban decided to invoke past national tragedy to illustrate a point regarding Alabama's loss to Louisiana-Monroe. I read the following: article and found myself getting sicker by the second. Maybe I am being a bit judgmental in my analysis, but I will stand by this position. The last line of the article stated that Mr. The level of contempt I harbor toward the following made me take stock in my favorite hobby and passion. Alabama fans are commonly referred to as the most fanatical of any you will find and their head coach wished to illustrate to his football team the very large disappointment he had in their performance. You see it was reported by the associated press that Nick Saban didn't "compare the embarrassing loss to those events" referring to 911 and Pearl Harbor. I beg to differ that is exactly the picture he was creating when he made the statement. I argue that in no way was the loss catastrophic. I offer this AP article for your thoughts:

    "TUSCALOOSA, Ala. -- Alabama fans aren't the only ones treating the Louisiana-Monroe loss as a monumental event.

    Coach Nick Saban described the humbling defeat in almost apocalyptic terms Monday, mentioning the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks and Pearl Harbor in talking about how his team must rebound like America did from a "catastrophic event."

    "Changes in history usually occur after some kind of catastrophic event," Saban said. "It may be 9/11, which sort of changed the spirit of America relative to catastrophic events. Pearl Harbor kind of got us ready for World War II, and that was a catastrophic event."

    If the comparisons seem over the top, well, it is Iron Bowl week.

    Saban didn't compare the embarrassing 21-14 loss to Louisiana-Monroe to those events, but picked those historical references to illustrate that this could be a pivotal week for the Crimson Tide..." The rest of the article can be read by clicking on the link. There is also a poll on that site asking whether you found the comments offensive. - Associated Press via ESPN.Com

    If you disagree with my assertions please feel free to share your thoughts on the same. As I said above I am a Fan(atic), and I look forward to this Saturday's clash with U Conn with high hopes. However, rest assured the heroics which may be exhibited on the football field should not ever be taken to a level greater than what it is an accomplishment on a football field. All this in my humble and verbose opinion.

    DaGeek


    2 comments:

    Greg said...

    I haven't seen the whole article or heard all of his comments but my thoughts are: big deal, he was reaching for the biggest catostrophic events he could think of at that moment. I'm sure it was the heat of the moment, after all the just got embarrassed by UL Monroe. People says things when they are upset that we should just ignore. Unfortunately for Saban, he has the charisma of Attila the Hun and a millions of people are listening. (No offense Attila) Of course, his gross exaggeration as well as mine, should be used by all media to hound him endlessly for his stupidity. Then laugh at him and go play some football.

    Anonymous said...

    I also haven't seen everything but I don't see it as a very big deal either. He is certainly overreacting but who cares? I'm not the PC police and if he wanted to compare his feeling after the game to the feeling of a twelve year old's father whose daughter just got raped, then let him be an idiot. People offended by this are probably overreacting as well. PETA compares events to the Holocaust and makes many other offensive comparisons for the very point of getting in the news. People intentionally cross the line for the sake of getting headlines and wether or not Saban's had those intentions, we should let him be the idiot Alabama hired him to be. What would irk him even more is if nobody paid any attention to his comments and just kept laughing at Alabama. (you know, like we did Lloyd Carr)

    Youtube Highlights for South Florida Game

    Big East Champions

    Bruce Irvin

    Pat White 15 Touchdowns Just to remind you of how fun scoring can be...

    Geno Smith Video By Dougitydog

    How important are early verbal commitments?

    How many pushups do you predict Brock will press in Marshall game?