WV Law Geek's Twitter Updates

    follow me on Twitter

    Sunday, December 2, 2007

    Ole JB's Post-Brawl Thoughts

    First off, to get this off my chest, Mountaineer fans who booed Rod after that 3 and out need to get a clue. Not only is that classless but it demonstrates a complete lack of understanding about the psyche of the game. Those players and coaches wanted to win this game more than even the most rabid of fans did. Rod's coaching has led to victory 90% of the time the past three years. It didn't work tonight, but one broken tackle and you all would have been singing a different tune.

    Other than that, obviously this was a crushing disappointment. On my way back to the 'Burgh, I at first told myself that I wouldn't listen to the radio, but I did anyway. Pat White's post-game interview was pretty heartrending. They asked him when the loss would sink in, and his response was "when the clock hit zero". I can't tell you how glad I am that he's the WVU quarterback, and I fully expect him and the rest of the team to pick up the pieces and win the BCS game, whichever it may be.

    Some of the sting will wear off in a month, and hopefully we'll be able to embrace the good of this season despite the bitterness of the end. A Big East championship, another shot at a BCS bowl and another double-digit win season. I've had a blast watching the Mountaineers this year, and the sad events of this evening won't change that.

    As the various incarnations of the spread offense continue to dominate college ball, teams are going to figure out ways to stymie it. The mustacioed one, for all my derision of him, brought a solid defensive gameplan tonight, and it paid off for the Panthers. Hopefully this will be a learning experience for the coaches and players. After all, there's a lot to look forward to in '08.

    3 comments:

    Unknown said...

    Good comments, Chris.
    Tough loss; I hope to feel better about it in a few days. I feel so badly for our players who will carry that disappointment for the rest of their lives.
    Our fans (maybe I should call them "game attendees") need to remember how to appreciate both athletic accomplishment AND effort. Too many seem to be there thinking they are watching a large screen PlayStation or some other console rather than real people living real lives and being imperfect like the rest of us. Many seem to expect something dramatic on every play of every game as if the other team's players don't care or even matter.
    The match-up against a great Oklahoma team should enable all to refocus. I'm glad our great team will not have to share the same venue with the players and fans from the principle-deficient program from Blacksburg.

    wvlawgeek said...

    Gregg,

    Actually those comments should be credited to my cousin Jeremy. I echo his sentiments. It was disheartening to see and hear "fans" of our beloved eers booing. 3 and outs happen. Trust me no body in that stadium felt the ramifications of that lost more than the players and coaches. I hurt from the disappointment more for the kids than for me. I hope that Coach Rod can rally the troops and let the kids know that they can still accomplish something pretty special and frankly have accomplished something very special in the last four years. This senior class has made us all proud. The loss to Pitt was aweful yes but it is but one game in many. The "fans" memory of the season appairantly is pretty short lived. Anyway, I didn't even get on this blog until this morning. So, I read Ole JB's comments at that time.

    Da Geek

    Greg said...

    The loss was disheartening to say the least. I know many a fair weather fan who felt that one as deeply as the most impassioned of us. I've heard it been said that it's just a game. For those players who put everything they had into it and lost, it is more than that. It likely will cost White a trip to New York. It could effect recruiting and worst of all, it could undo the respect our program has earned over the last couple of years. It may affect how well our fans travel to Arizona. It may affect opportunities that our players would otherwise have had with post season awards and recognition. That being said, I am proud of their accomplishments and that they have represented us so well. Hearing the players and coaches after the game, I was proud of the class they displayed. I didn't hear anyone pointing a finger (so to speak) and I didn't hear any excuses. THIS was a true test of the team's character and they still have a lot to prove. How they respond in the Oklahoma game will go a long way in determining the direction of this program. But keep this in mind; this program has now lost 5 games in the past 3 years and we're disappointed. It was a lost opportunity but my hope is the program rebounds strongly and there are many more in our future.

    Youtube Highlights for South Florida Game

    Big East Champions

    Bruce Irvin

    Pat White 15 Touchdowns Just to remind you of how fun scoring can be...

    Geno Smith Video By Dougitydog

    How important are early verbal commitments?

    How many pushups do you predict Brock will press in Marshall game?