WV Law Geek's Twitter Updates

    follow me on Twitter

    Monday, December 17, 2007

    Hold the Rope we were told, and then he and the administration dropped it.

    I like many am still dealing with the shock of the news that has come to light over the last 72 hours. I was in shock because I have been a hook line and sinker supporter of our coach since he came here. I was ecstatic at the hire. I said, "just wait and see" after the 3 and 8 season. I stuck by him before it was in vogue to do so. I stuck by him even when he flirted with Alabama and I was one of the fools who believed that he would not join the Maize and Blue. I was obviously wrong. "In Rod we could not trust," he simply had other plans. I am not sure that a different outcome of the Pitt game would have reaped a different result but I know he has bailed on his team now. I have heard several perspectives on what had "caused" this to come to pass. Too say that this hurts would be gross understatement. He told us all to hold the rope!!! He then let go and watched us all fall down. I wish that he would have taken his words as seriously as did his players and the fans.

    I have heard from the Rod camp, which suggests that it was not him but the administration of WVU. I have heard that he simply couldn't take it anymore with regard to the fans. I would note that the administration appears not to have clean hands in this either.
    "I tell you what, I've never seen anything mishandled as much as this was," Bob Reynolds, former chief operating officer of Fidelity Investments, said yesterday. "Here's a university that made a $200,000 decision -- it probably could've cost less than that [to keep Mr. Rodriguez] -- and it's going to cost them millions" in booster support, potential bowl money and revenue from football success." Earl G. "Ken" Kendrick Jr., a part owner of the Arizona Diamondbacks and benefactor to the WVU College of Business and Economics and other colleges in his home state, said: "I'm severely disappointed in leadership. I'm discouraged by the decision-making and lack of judgment. And the lack of respect for key employees -- because this isn't just about Rich, he's just the most high-profile one. It's a sad story. It's compelling to me as somebody who's given emotional and financial support to the university. And it makes it questionable to me as I go forward."-as quoted in Pittsburgh Post-Gazette I can't give the administration a pass either. I just hate the fact that we didn't have a chance to work this out. Rod didn't want to negotiate or fight the administration anymore and the administration didn't want to feel like they had a gun to their head every year. It is a tough situation in my opinion mis-handled by all. But it really doesn't matter why it came to pass it does matter what it means:

    1. I think that it means in the short term that this team is going to have to overcome a lot in less than a month to be competitive against the Sooners. They have to overcome Pitt. They have to overcome disappointment over falling short of their dream to play for all the cookies. And now they have to overcome a betrayal of trust by both the coach and the administration. I am sure that it impacts some players more than others but it will have a profound impact regardless.
    2. I think that in the short term it means that this recruiting class arguably our best ever will likely be blown up. I don't blame these kids either. I wish them the best regardless of their choice. I hope that they come in spite of this but I understand why they might wish to pull their commits.
    3. I think that this means that the reputation of West Virginia has just taken a big blow. Now all those who would say we are a 2nd tier program have some significant mud to sling.
    4. I think that this means that the administration has an opportunity after royally botching this, to once again show the country that it is more important to see a flying WV than the name tag on the shirt. I hope against hope that our days without a coach are short ones.
    5. I think that this means that Bobby Bowden may get a chance to make an immediate splash. I hope that if this is the case that he uses his charisma to bring a quick "healing" to the wounds of this program. "I made a full commitment to get back into coaching almost two years ago. Coming home to West Virginia would obviously be the dream job for me," Bowden, a college football analyst on radio and for Yahoo! Sports, said in a statement released by his publicist.
    6. Long term I think that this program will rebound and come back a strong as ever.

    I know that Rich has lead us well for the last 7 years and I am grateful. I wish that his legacy at WVU wouldn't be tarnished in this way. I guess I need to fall back and be the "bigger" person and realize that it is a part of this "business," however I am ill-equipped to do so. You see I am a transplanted West Virginian. I bleed the Gold and Blue and I love my people. This was one of our own turning his back on us. Mostly I am mad because this team has come to believe in the philosophies of Rich. The problem is that he has always talked about doing not talking. His words ring shallow when he uproots and leaves the job undone. I will heal from this as we are a resilient bunch but I am mad right now. Whomever is coming to fill the vacancy please realize how important this is to us the fans. Please realize that we will follow you into the fire we will bleed every scrape we will do what it takes to make you a part of our family. Please don't come here unless you wish to do so for the long term. The program will continue to grow even if the rope was dropped by Rich. I guess we need to take his quote from the presser this morning to heart as he is "in the past." Though the fallout from this will not settle for some time to come.

    DA GEEK

    5 comments:

    Greg said...

    We just had the hottest girl in school break up with us to marry the jackass that drives the vette. Anybody else have that feeling?

    Greg said...

    I read the article in the Post Gazette. Here's a link if anyone hasn't seen it: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/07352/842541-144.stm

    Very interesting. So, who is behind these decisions. Is it Mike Garrison or Ed Pastilong?? I wouldn't have thought that. But how do you lose Rodriguez for $200k???! ...when donors would have coughed it up?

    Jeremy Cooper said...

    Greg,
    I think that the PG article serves a couple of purposes, and neither of them are to tell the entire story. The article works for the boosters because they want Pastilong's head (I don't really blame them) and it works for the PG because it will help increase the perception for Western PA recruits that they should stay away from WVU.

    I refuse to believe that Rod was negotiating in good faith when he was talking to Michigan without informing his boss. I don't really think I'd mind seeing a new AD, as there have been a string of coach losses, but I'm not willing to lay all the blame there, nor do I think the article goes into any detail that might reflect positively on Pastilong.

    Greg said...

    I know what your saying, but what's the deal with Pastilong? When I was there from '97-'00 I only heard good things about him. Chris and I sat next to him him at a WVU baseball game. I think we were the only 3 there. Remember that one Chris?

    Anyway, what's up with all the coaching losses? Is that why we're one of the only athletic programs in the black? Is he just stingy with money or is there a personality flaw there?

    I'm just depressed. From the highest of high to the lowest of lows. Somebody put a parachute on this program!

    Anonymous said...

    I'm not gonna judge the PG for their possible angle for the story. Here's another article that slams Rod: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/07352/842529-87.stm

    But I refuse to blame Pastilong for this. If dickRod was truly mad about allegedly not getting what he was asked for, he could have gotten it easily. With the overwhelming support he had after last year, a simple leak to the media wold have had fans outraged to the point that the University would have had to concede.

    I will continue to believe this is about Rod. Here's an article in the Tulsa World that helps convince me: http://www.tulsaworld.com/sports/article.aspx?articleID=071216_2_B6_OVERW20728

    Youtube Highlights for South Florida Game

    Big East Champions

    Bruce Irvin

    Pat White 15 Touchdowns Just to remind you of how fun scoring can be...

    Geno Smith Video By Dougitydog

    How important are early verbal commitments?

    How many pushups do you predict Brock will press in Marshall game?