- Self evaluate: It seems that the first part of this process is for the coaches to go back and do a serious screening of the tendencies of our team. To determine what is working, what isn't working, and from a personnel standpoint making tweaks to those plays to make them work. Finally, the self scout is used to determine what they can do to disguise the plan from our opponents. He indicated that this is an ongoing process but that the extra time can be helpful. Coach has been pleased with the overall progress throughout the year and thus, desires to keep that progress going.
- Coach Holgerson indicated in his interview yesterday that Geno is a work in progress with plenty of room to grow. His biggest and most common criticism of his signal caller is that Geno wants to do to much. He really is trying to dial that back to have Geno play with in the system and simply take what is there.
- Coach was very pleased with the marked improvement of the special teams. He thinks he has found a punter. He was also quite pleased with what he saw from the defense. This he believes is going to have to continue to perform at a high level to finish the job of winning the Big East Championship. He sees Syracuse as having a similarly stout line as compared to UConn. But alas the Syracuse scout comes later.
- The primary focus for the next two days is getting rhythm related workouts for his players. He feels that off weeks can slow down a teams momentum and progress so his practice regimines will be such to confound that problem. He says that the regimen will be 2 very brisk hitting practices with weight room workouts.
- Another benefit to the "off week" is that fact that he and his staff will get to go do some serious recruiting. With all that is going on with conference expansion it is important for the Coaches to get into those homes and reassure those prospects of the WVU brand. I look for WVU to be getting some more verbal commitments following these visits. BTW the visitors we got from the UConn game all had positive things to say about WVU. In fact the 4 Mimamar kids really liked what they saw. It didn't hurt that their former Patriot classmates Geno, Stedman, Ian, and Ivan, all had really good games.
- Once the Coaches get back from their expedited recruiting tours it will be back to preparing for the Orange. The work week will be moved one day forward as the game will be played on Friday Night on ESPN. Thus Sunday is Monday etc. Coach Holgorsen's radio show will be aired on Wednesday.