- WVU remains as the leader for yet another week even without playing a game. Things get interesting for the Eers as they must compete on the road for 4 of their last 6 games but should also be favored to win them all. I still see them driving it all the way to Miami, New Orleans, or Tempe.
- Cincinnati to me is still in driver’s seat for second in the Power Rankings. Mr. Pead did his thing again in the Keg of Nails game against Rival Louisville. While the offense wasn’t prolific as they have been the rest of the year they still seem to have the necessary parts to be the only real threat to WVU in terms of yardage gained and touchdowns scored. The defense is still playing pretty decent football as well. Cincinnati Bowl hopes are still married to that of the Notre Dame. This places Cincinnati likely in the Belk Bowl in Charlotte.
- The Rutgers Scarlet Knights after coming away with yet another win over Navy have proven to be a stubborn team to beat. They are doing it with the same thing they have done it all year long. Defense and forcing turnovers. Will this be enough to go into their game with WVU undefeated in the Big East? Again I ask will they be ready to end the 16 game losing streak? The game time has been moved to ABC regional coverage at 3:30 on that Saturday clash. As for their likely Bowl invite the Pin Stripe Bowl is the leading candidate when the bids are offered.
- The biggest mover in the Power Rankings for me would be the Syracuse Orange. How does it happen that the other team not to play a down of football gets to climb in this Power Ranking Poll? For the most part it is due to the fact that they play the most fundamentally sound offensive football of the remaining teams. You can read below my analysis for this Friday’s game where you see that the Mountaineers will likely roll. Due to the fact that sPitt and USF don’t seem to want to go bowling at season’s end Syracuse’s options are starting to grow. I think that they are going to go to the Beef O'Bradies Bowl. The New Yorkers will get to do some Christmas on Crystal Beach.
- U Conn also decided to show some signs of life. While they still don’t have any real cohesiveness in any phases of football this season, they have found a way to get a conference win. This win came at the expense of South Florida who is on an epic free fall if they don’t right that ship soon. I had said in the previous power rankings that they had a shot to do some damage at the bottom of the conference apparently they have decided to take me up on my offer. As for Bowling I still say no soup for you, however you are starting to look like you might flirt with it.
- Pitt wow! I mean wow! What in the heck is in the Pierogies? Utah comes to your house you get a lead and then simply let them dictate the pace the rest of the game. This Pitt team is making Dave’s Mustache itch. I was one who thought that you were going to improve; at this point I don’t see Graham even doing that. The rub on Pitt is stop one player and Tino will stop the rest. As for Bowling at the end of the Season this could get interesting. Getting to that 6th win is going to be tough if they do I am guessing that it is the BVAA Compass bowl for Pitt.
- With Louisville's accounting in the Keg of Nails game against arch rival Cincinnati, I was able to find some semblance of positive progress. This could be a result of playing up to a rival but I think that maybe Charlie Strong is starting to get through to this team. As of today Samford has left the team as Offensive Coordinator. This team is trying to find a stride. is a good time to do it. As there is a lot yet to figure out Louisville is likely on outside looking in come bowl time but there still exists some opportunity to have a 3 and 4 big east record.
- Finally on this list is the biggest disappointment in terms of pre-season hype the USF Bulls. This team follows a crushing loss to sPitt only to falter again the following week to UConn. Starting off 0 and 2 doesn not foreclose upon an end to a Big East Championship as was evidenced by UConn’s run last season but this would be quite a turn around. The Bulls look like a team without direction. I stand by the fact that they have talent and coaching they just seem to be going to different practice fields during the week. USF will likely win enough games to go bowling but look for them to be picked at the end of the pecking order come seasons end. Maybe a replacement team for a conference that doesn’t have enough teams to fill their slots.
WV Law Geek's Twitter Updates
Tuesday, October 18, 2011
Da Geek's Big East Power Rankings and Bowl Projections:
Posted by wvlawgeek at 10/18/2011 10:48:00 AM