WV Law Geek's Twitter Updates
Monday, November 14, 2011
Da Geek's Big East Power Rankings and Bowl Projections 11/14/2011:
3. Pitt has moved its way back into serious conference contention. The reason that they reside here and not with WVU and Cincy in the top spot is that they lost to Cincinnati and have to travel to Morgantown without their star runner. While the WVU defense has proven to be porous, so does Pitt's defense against spread offenses. They have however, made themselves a contender with some help. They need Cincinnati to lose 2 more and win out for the crown. Pitt is likely making a trip to Birmingham Alabama.
4. Louisville is still very much a contender but need both Pitt and Cincy to fall twice more. In a four way tie they lose all the tie-breakers with their loss to Cincinnati and Pitt. They do hold a tiebreaker over WVU but they can't win in either the 3 way or 2 way tie scenario. They still have work to do but a bowl birth in Tampa Florida is now becoming close to a reality.
5. Rutgers holds down the number 5 spot though they are also in mathematical contention for the crown. Though they are also at a disadvantage due to tie-breaker woes. As I have maintained for weeks they have all but locked up their bowl bid to the Pinstripe Bowl in New York City.
6. Connecticut and South Florida have moved into a tie for this spot. Both teams got much needed victories this weekend. Neither have a real good shot at a bowl game this post season but neither are mathematically out of that scenario either. This fight to be at the bottom of the conference is fierce. Only time will tell.
8. And Syracuse has now locked up the bottom feeder status for the week. After giving WVU an embarrassing loss they are now falling out of conference contention with every week that passes. It appears that wins over Wake Forest and WVU will be their key wins for the season. Losing to Connecticut is considered a cardinal sin. Particularly when you lose to your fired ex-coach at home. Syracuse much like those other teams so desperate to be at the bottom of the conference still have a legit shot at a bowl birth but now that picture has become quite out of focus.