WV Law Geek's Twitter Updates

    follow me on Twitter

    Monday, August 29, 2011

    Marshall

    Just doing a little bit of research. So Marshall has 9 of 11 back on Def including Vinny Curry. For those of you who don't know, he's a projected 2nd rounder in the upcoming draft. He'll also be matched up against....well, I don't know yet. The coaches haven't decided who sucks less, Eger or Spain. Maybe that's unfair for a r-sophomore and a r-freshman, but the coaches really haven't pulled any punches with their displeasure at this spot. This match up causes me great concern. The last thing we need is Geno running for his life all night or worse, injured.

    As a result, I expect a lot of short passes or running backs chip blocking on release routes. I know Holgorsen likes to stretch the field vertically as well as horizontally but this could be the limiting factor.

    WV comes into the game as a 21 point favorite. Two things I don't like to bet on: my sentimental favorites and rivalry games. I'm avoiding this one altogether.

    That being said here's some other things I expect to see:

    Tavon Aston catching short passes and dancing through the secondary.

    Stedman Bailey catching a long TD ball.

    Turnovers...on both sides. Probably from sacks and fumbles but at least 1 Mountaineer interception.

    A WVU defensive score, probably on said sack/fumble.

    Tyler Urban posting up in the middle like Kevin Jones.

    Freshman tailbacks making me say, "Did you see that?"

    I expect Marshall to get an early field goal.

    I expect WV to struggle for a quarter, quarter and a half.

    I expect WV to score often in the 2nd quarter

    What I don't want to see:

    Injuries, we really can't afford them.

    Turnovers-see above.

    3 and out, 3 and out, 3 and out....makes for a tired Def and mental offense, not to mention fan base.

    In other words, I expect this to be a run of the mill closer game than it should be with WV winning/pulling away in the second half.

    Thoughts??


    Greg



    7 comments:

    wvlawgeek said...

    1st off your reluctance to bet the 21 point line is maybe sound, however, I see WVU covering it and then some. Bottom line Marshall is starting a true frosh QB in Cato. He likely will be running for his life. While I expect both teams to utilize the gun and that should slow pursuit, I give a huge edge to Geno in being able to avoid the Marshall Rush. Conversely, I see the likes of Bruce Irvin and Julian Miller, Terrance Garvin and Keith Tandy giving Cato some serious headaches all game long.

    Vinny Curry is an NFL caliber stud no doubt about it. He will be, as you indicated, opposite youth and that match-up would be a problem were it not for the fact that Coach Bedenbaugh is in town now. I truly see him using blocking schemes for instance, doubling down on Vinny. My guess is that Coach B. will see to it that if Geno is going to face a rush he will at least see it coming. Game-planning will go a long way.

    Marshall has some key returners on defense but they are outgunned in my estimation, when it comes to covering our receiving corps. As a result, I agree that Tavon, Tyler and Stedman could have pretty special days. I am also excited to see how well the Ivan "Sticks" McCartney, Ryan Neilan platooning on the outside pans out. My guess is you will have a great time watching those two this year.

    The wildcard this season for WVU is the stable of running backs. We shall see all 7 players in this game. As Coach has said on numerous occasions, the "starter" is not necessarily going to get the most carries. I think he is going to go with what works.

    Marshall is motivated to beat WVU. Maybe, even Coach Holiday's tactics of posting the number 70 on the facilities will reap some early energy dividends, but I just don't see this game being even close. They are Marshall and we are better.

    Turnovers, pre-snap penalties, and special teams mishaps are the common denominator in most opening games. as long as these are kept to a minimum by the Eers I feel really good about this game.

    Coach Holgorsen didn't take this job to lose. He is manning the entire ship and that is a change, but he hasn't loosed the reigns on the offense and for that reason I see yardage and points a plenty on Sunday.

    Da Geek

    Unknown said...

    Which side is Vinny Curry lining up on? If he is on our left side Donnie Barclay will maul him. If he is on the right we might have a little bit of issues. If he is on the right you will see a lot of quick passes. On our left you will see some deeper routes.

    I think we come out of the gates slinging. We cover 21 points in the first quarter.

    This one is going to get ugly fast. This is Dana's coming out party. The offense is going to score often.

    Bruce Irvin is a mad man on a mission. He is ready to make his impact on the entire college football landscape. He will come up huge in this game.

    Greg said...

    Curry predominantly lines up over the right tackle. They move him some and if you watch his highlights, you'll notice they also like to stunt with him up the middle.


    Breaking news: Troy Evans has been arrested for theft in Huntington. He's a starting WR and I think they use him returning kicks.

    The line is up to 22.

    Frosh QB, WR out: I expect them to line up with their bigs (I know, it's relative term) and run right at us.

    wvlawgeek said...

    If they decide to play smash-mouth so be it. I think you will be pleasantly surprised at our D-Lines ability to stop run. 3-3-5 can be very hard to run against effectively. And if they go vanilla they won't see less than 8 in the box. Good luck with that strategy.

    Da Geek

    Anonymous said...

    I'm not sure if they cover early, but they will definitely cover easily. A lot of people have been waiting for this game for a long time and for a lot of different reasons. And I believe Holgerson has his own reasons for wanting this to be convincing. His record alone has me convinced to give the points. It's the only game I'm looking at this week and I'm in at -21.

    Greg said...

    Weezie

    Take USF and the points against ND. 10 is just too many. USF plays well at the beginning of the season and South Bend should be a nice 80 degrees or so at game time.

    Anonymous said...

    nice call Greg

    Youtube Highlights for South Florida Game

    Big East Champions

    Bruce Irvin

    Pat White 15 Touchdowns Just to remind you of how fun scoring can be...

    Geno Smith Video By Dougitydog

    How important are early verbal commitments?

    How many pushups do you predict Brock will press in Marshall game?