WV Law Geek's Twitter Updates

    follow me on Twitter

    Friday, October 16, 2009

    Basketballers take to Court tonight. Associates of Carbon Bowl to Kickoff tomorrow, why WVU shall prevail.

    We are now at the Mid-point of one season and the beginning of another. I am excited at the prospects for both teams. The Gridders have only to play to their potential tomorrow and that should be enough for a 5-1 start. The Roundballers need only show up tonight and I am sure the Colosseum crowd will be very entertained. The theme for this post is optimism. We have a team in a true Big East Hunt in Football and in Basketball as well.

    While more detailed information shall follow regarding the basketball team it is important to note that this team will be deeper and more talented that we have seen in a very long time. Some points to make our all everything sophomore forwards are about 35 lean pounds heavier than they were last year. Our guard play should improve as well. We have some more Frosh players and JC players that could mean that our starters can play meaningful well rested minutes for the first time in years. Bottom line is that this team is limited by itself and nothing else. Will the Big East be a tall order? Absolutely! Coach Huggs is ready for us to be in Elite company and sees us competing for that title as well as the NCAA title.

    Now on to the "if only a little more pressure I would be a diamond bowl." Yes I am not a fan of the name of this game. However, I am looking forward to the second week in a row of offensive success with no turnovers. The Mountaineers have won all eight meetings against the Thundering Herd. I see tomorrow's rendition of this series being much the same.

    Marshall boasts a 4-2 record coming into this tilt. They have an explosive running back. In fact, On Saturday, two of the top three running backs in the nation will square off. Darius Marshall's 147.40 rushing yards per game ranks second nationally, while Noel Devine's average of 126.20 YPG is third. Hopefully at the end of this game Noel can rush past Darius tomorrow in the national rankings. The Herd posts a pretty forgiving defense (ranks 90th overall), but a real desire to unseat the king of West Virginia Football. Coach, Mark Snyder will have a game-plan to win for sure, but I anticipate talent being the turning point in this game. The Mountaineers simply have too many slugs in the Muskett for the Herd. Simply stated this game will not be close. I predict a 26 point margin at games end. I am looking forward to freezing my hindquarters off as I witness this beat down in Motown. I am also excited to see our starters watching the game with me as they are done at the end of the 3rd quarter. Yes my Mountaineer nation, I am very optimistic that at the close of the 4th quarter Country Roads will be music to my ears and Eers. WVU 39 Marshall 13.

    Da Geek

    4 comments:

    Greg said...

    Seriously? "Friends of Coal"??? What marketing f-ing reject thought of this. I mean, correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't coal an inanimate object. You know, the kind that produce sulfur emissions not to mention run off effects of mining. Hey, maybe North Carolina should have the friends of tobacco bowl. Or maybe the friends of furniture bowl. Isn't their a name for this condition?? ...like the lady who fell in love with the Eiffel Tower and tried to marry it?

    But I digress... Look, I'm not against mining, but is this really the message we want sent from the great state of West Virginia?? It's an embarrassment. How about a cleaner energy slogan? Or an Almost Heaven slogan. Does "friends of coal" even help the coal industry? I mean, does a coal fired power plant manager say, "hey, friends of coal, I should buy more."?? It's beyond moronic!! I for one will cringe every time today they parade some WV personality in front of the camera today to say they are a "friend of coal". Here comes Nehlen, here comes Manchin, the media whore. The parade of jackasses who don't seem to have a clue the rest of the country is saying "friends of what?? Did they just say friends of coal? What a dumbass!"
    Its bad enough we have to play this game. Legislators, don't you have something better to do? I get so aggravated at some of this stupidity!

    Sorry for the rant, WV by 24!

    I look forward to your B-ball write-up, Geek.

    Anonymous said...

    Amen fellas. It might as well be called the friends of satan bowl.

    Dick said...

    You may not like it but the fact is West Virginia is recognized for coal production.. Ask most any one and they will tell you WV produces coal.. While some have exploited coal in many ways it has been the lively hood for a lot of west Virginians. We are tied to coal like it or not. hope the basketball team doesn't read-their press clippings and believe all they read. They will have to play as a team first. They have potential just like the football team but as the football team has found out there is such a thing as self discipline.. The football team lacks that considering their play with regards to penalties and turnovers. Worst I have seen in a WV football team.. Hope they learn a little self discipline.. Dick

    wvlawgeek said...

    Dick,

    First off, thanks for your input on this blog, and secondly I don't like to get too political on this sports forum however, this is an issue that to me is embarrassing. I am not stating that the mining of coal hasn't been a big and very important part of the lives of West Virginian's now and historically. And for the record I am pro-coal miner. However, I have 0 compunction slamming Coal Companies who have raped this state of human lives and resources (both economic and natural).

    I was fortunate enough to view the game live. Then I came home and watched the DVR'd coverage of the game, and sure enough, I witnessed the lies that the Coal association espoused in their commercials over and over again. The Coal Association's sponsorship of this game sickens me. I stand by this statement.

    With regards to discipline I think that the football team has made more unforced errors than is acceptable. I certainly agree that WVU needs to make sure that these sort of things get corrected. I don't think it is possible to avoid the press clippings. I think that this Basketball team will read all of them. I do however believe that Coach Huggins is good at humbling his players. I am guessing that the same shall be done this year throughout the year. I am excited about this years prospects and do enjoy reading the positive pub. Let us hope that the hype is proven to be warranted.

    DaGeek

    Youtube Highlights for South Florida Game

    Big East Champions

    Bruce Irvin

    Pat White 15 Touchdowns Just to remind you of how fun scoring can be...

    Geno Smith Video By Dougitydog

    How important are early verbal commitments?

    How many pushups do you predict Brock will press in Marshall game?