WV Law Geek's Twitter Updates

    follow me on Twitter

    Friday, October 24, 2008

    Fun put back into WVU Football!!!


    I dressed in my Gold and went to Mylon Puskar stadium in hopes of seeing the team I know and love. I was not disappointed. I saw the offense show up for 4 quarters for the first time this season. I realize that Pat threw two pics (completely out of character) in a row, but then he settled down and threaded some needles. I saw the offensive line show up for the first time this year as well. I would point out that Auburn was giving up less than 120 yards of rushing offense a game coming into last night's tilt. Noel Devine rushed for 207 on 17 carries himself. What I did last night was actually enjoy the Mountaineer experience. This felt the way it is suppose to feel. Pat White for the 4th straight time took the SEC to task. WVU is now undefeated against Georgia Mississippi State and Auburn. Not a lot of teams can make that claim.



    The SEC has not found a way to slow down the zone-blocking scheme. In large measure this is due to the fact that it is only utilized by two teams with any regularity, Florida and Vanderbilt. What that scheme is designed to do is to eliminate the edge of the "fast" defense. It basically takes what is given to it. And for the first time this year the offensive line looked like the one that received all of the pre-season love.




    With all of the love I am giving the offense I would be remiss if I didn't tout the "D". Wow what a performance. This unit has been the best of the team for the entire season and Jeff Castille is to be commended. It was dealt crappy hands all night long and still only gave up 17 points. That is to say that it didn't give up a score in 3 quarters. I was particularly impressed with its 3 and out, following the ingenious onside kick call/execution by Auburn. This followed a goal line stand. It is that kind of stinginess that has lead to the 5 wins we have had. Suffice to say they have come to play. The special teams, not so much. Work is left to be done before we enter the meat of the Big East for sure. But alas, the prize is awaiting us for the taking. A Big East Championship and a BCS Bowl is the reward for a five game winning streak from this day forward. GO EERS.




    DA GEEK

    1 comment:

    Anonymous said...

    To be fair, Auburn's defense did give up 175 yards to Arkansas' tailback in their last game. I doubt his performance was near as impressive as Devine's however and 34 points against them is very impressive. (could have been more if Pat had started a little more relaxed)

    Youtube Highlights for South Florida Game

    Big East Champions

    Bruce Irvin

    Pat White 15 Touchdowns Just to remind you of how fun scoring can be...

    Geno Smith Video By Dougitydog

    How important are early verbal commitments?

    How many pushups do you predict Brock will press in Marshall game?