WV Law Geek's Twitter Updates

    follow me on Twitter

    Saturday, September 6, 2008

    Well that didn't go as planned... Pirates 24 Moutaineers 3

    My first impressions of this game are negative to say the least. Our beloved Eers could never get anything going. Two things are true. I was underestimating ECU and I was overestimating WVU. I suspected that our young defense was going to have to find itself but I didn't expect them to simply get beat up. Truth be told Pinkney never had any problems dissecting our defense. And our offense, in the Pat White era has never looked so anemic.

    We have some work to do. Fortunately, and agonizingly, we have to face a 2 week layover before facing Colorado on the Thursday night game. Yes my fellow Eer fans we are about to have a precipitous drop in the polls and we are going to be attacked by every media outlet out there. Tis the medicine we must swallow. Crow never tastes very good but I am ready for my first helping.

    WVU lost to a very good ECU team today. I was hoping that the growing pains of a coaching change were going to be postponed until next year. Alas that is not the case. Adjustments need to be made sure, but I hope that the fan base doesn't simply give up. One loss doesn't end a season. It simply helps to redefine it. I am anxious to see what happens in Boulder. I expect to see a better team on the field than the one that made the trip to Greenville. Congrats to the Pirates and good luck. I shall have further thoughts down the road but this is all I can do while I am still licking my wounds.

    Let's Go Mountaineers!!!

    DaGeek

    5 comments:

    Anonymous said...

    I agree Geek. We should've expected some growing pains with an overhauled staff a very young and inexperienced O. Coordinator. Unfortunately, we all hoped this would be a special year w/ it being Pat's final one. As for now, this staff needs to do some hard soul searching. We need to focus on winning the BE. Colorado and Auburn are not nearly as important anymore. (except that the BE is turning into a laughing stock again) I still have some hopes that this staff and our defense can come together and be successful, but I would still have them on a short leash. If WVU isn't playing at a very high level by the end of the season, I would not hesitate to make another change. Coaches like Butch Jones, Skip Holtz, or even Terry Bowden aren't going to be available forever, but they will be next year.

    wvlawgeek said...

    I am just hopeful that this is not a precipitous fall from grace ala Louisville last year. You are right though. Really only 7 more wins are paramount at this point. I obviously wish to do a lot better than that. But Big East Champion gets a BCS bowl. That invite can revive a program. But I digress, priority now is for the coaching staff to get to work on fixing this.

    Greg said...

    I'll reiterate what I e-mailed the Geek:

    It's not surprising that our defense is porous. We have a lot of gaps to fill. What surprised me was the O-line. They got their ass handed to them and frankly, they looked a step slow. It looked like they lacked intensity. That is a coaching issue!

    Dick said...

    We saw WVU not live up to the hype. Were the guys guilty of reading their own reviews? They certainly did not play up to the hype. They have a week to improve basic tackeling. They should have realized you won't bring those strong runners down trying to tackel them above the waist. You have to take their wheels out from under them. The offensive line was just that, offensive. They certainly din't do the job for which they applied. Found out from comentators Skip Holtz had a plane chartered to come to WVU the day after the Fiesta Bowl but cancelled after Stewart was hired. PITTY.

    wvlawgeek said...

    First off: Mr. Cardot, welcome to the blogoshphere. I welcome your thoughts.

    I really think that this game was one that we can advance from. I am not sure how they could go backwards further. I hope not anyway. It is more than discouraging to see a much touted offensive line letting this happen. I would think that an uninspired performance can be attributed to coaching. How much, obviously I can not quantify but blame can be laid at the feet of the "much touted coaching staff." Analysis of this game can get nauseating mainly because none of us were ready for this kind of lackluster performance. Here we are and here is what we must improve upon. That is what the coaches should work on. Do we place the hook around Stewart's neck, of course not. Do we expect this staff to get this under control immediately of course. The first thing that the team needs to do from an offensive perspective is get a since of toughness. The thing that this team needs to do defensively is get physical, and more than that fundamentally tackle. What we saw with the "stand up" tackles needs to be addressed yesterday. All of this I say in my most humble nature.
    DaGeek

    Youtube Highlights for South Florida Game

    Big East Champions

    Bruce Irvin

    Pat White 15 Touchdowns Just to remind you of how fun scoring can be...

    Geno Smith Video By Dougitydog

    How important are early verbal commitments?

    How many pushups do you predict Brock will press in Marshall game?