WV Law Geek's Twitter Updates

    follow me on Twitter

    Thursday, September 17, 2009

    Well it is back down South for the Mountaineers!!! Some football against SEC... Auburn here we come.

    This game to me is pretty simple. We execute our offense we win. Auburn is built for Defense and for speed at skill on offense. They have a solid offensive line. I however believe that our offense can outscore theirs. The question comes down to execution. I don't think we can continue to get the penalties that we have accumulated over the last two weeks. I don't think that we can go backwards much at all in this game. However, I think we have a special quarterback and some stellar players at the skill positions. This leads me to believe that "SEC speed" is nothing to get too worked up about.

    What this weekend is for the Mountaineers is the same that it is for most of the Big East, an opportunity to shine in the spotlight. In recent history, Mountaineer nation has been blessed with some entertaining and successful displays of football versus the SEC. Let us hope that that run continues in Alabama on Saturday night (7:45 kickoff). We are given only so many chances to shine out of conference and on the big stage. Mr. Brown and the men need to take this chance and vault us back into the national spotlight. A WVU win would mean that we have legitimize ourselves yet again and it would make those pollsters begrudgingly take notice of us.

    I predict success. The "Queen Car­i­oca " from the SignalCaller.com calls for a 26 24 WVU win. I say that the final score of Saturdays game will be Eers 38 Tigers 24.

    DaGeek

    5 comments:

    Unknown said...

    I've decided to go down there and see "the plains" for myself. Expecting a tight contest and hoping for a Sugar Bowl-like experience. Tell your dad to meet me there!

    Anonymous said...

    I think(hope) WVU is a little better than Auburn and will win. I would be surprised if we win by two TD's and hang 38 on them, however. Jarrett Brown has never started a road game in college. I think he has played exceptionally up to this point, but if he puts 38 up at Auburn this Saturday night, it might be time to retire his #. We did dominate the yardage against ECU and Liberty, but only scored 35. Those games were in Morgantown. Those games weren't on national TV. And Auburn's defense will be better than ECU's and Liberty's.

    My prediction will be that the 'Eers take a couple series to find themselves in the hostile environment, but get things going in the middle part of the game to pull ahead and hold on to a 24-13 win.

    Additionally, beating this Auburn team will earn us almost no respect for the polls and the "spotlight". It doesn't even matter if we pound them by 30. Experts will use the score to confirm that Auburn's program is in the middle of a tailspin. This will be especially true, since the country will be busy talking about the Vols' upset of UF that afternoon.

    wvlawgeek said...

    Gregg I too, hope for a Sugar Bowl-like experience. I will certainly be cheering my behind off. I do feel that things could go really well for the team. It will be the best "D" we have faced in terms of talent, but I believe that JB is up to the task.

    Weezie, good points right up until the end of your comments. I tell you what I will sing Rocky Top at the top of my lungs if they do upend the Gaters. I don't see that happening, though.

    Greg said...

    I'm optimistic myself as well. But turnovers and special teams figure to play a significant roll in this game. Believe it or not Auburn has been struggling returning the ball...should be interesting to see how the field position plays out.

    Also Auburn has a young tailback in McCalleb that is showing a lot of promise. He almost ended up at WVU before Auburn settled on Chizik. Ben Tate is running the offense with a balanced attack this year, but if Kodi Burns (last year's QB) is in the game they are likely to go to him. He's accounted for 24 points already this year.

    Defensively, they still have Tubervilles personel, which is a good thing. Great pass coverage and solid up front. Miss St was able to gain 297 and La Tech 245. I think WVU should be able to move the ball. Chris is right on here, execution is key.

    Chizik noted in his game breakdown our defense knows their assignments and that makes it tough for them to find gaps. Personally, I want to see more swarming. When are D plays well, you see a lot of gang tackles. Auburn has broken some big plays. We need to avoid the one on one matchups that have the big play potential.

    I say WVU 24 Auburn 21

    Greg said...

    Weezie,

    I heard Mel Kiper today say that Jarrett Brown could move up to a late 1st rounder if he continues on the path he's on!

    Youtube Highlights for South Florida Game

    Big East Champions

    Bruce Irvin

    Pat White 15 Touchdowns Just to remind you of how fun scoring can be...

    Geno Smith Video By Dougitydog

    How important are early verbal commitments?

    How many pushups do you predict Brock will press in Marshall game?