WV Law Geek's Twitter Updates

    follow me on Twitter

    Friday, March 28, 2008

    The Future Looks Bright... I Think.

    I didn't get to see the whole game vs. Xavier 'cause UNC was on here and didn't feel like watching it on my computer. I saw the beginning, the end of regulation, and the overtime. I think the difference in the game at the end was certainly a valuable learning experience for the future. These guys certainly learned that this tourney is no match for the NIT. You can't leave shooters and miss free throws on the last possessions and have any chance at this point. I expect that Wellington will be much more disciplined next year.

    A large congratulations is in order for Coach Huggins. I know there are people that doubted the wisdom of his hiring given his past, but he has shown his worth in a very short time. Though one season is no measuring stick for success at a program, the teaching job he did with these players is nothing short of amazing. Joe Alexander should literally owe him $Millions$ in a couple years. I seriously doubt he would have had a chance at the draft under Belein.

    I now wonder if this team shows any resemblance to the team that we will see under Huggins a few years from now. This group was a bunch of mainly cerebral guys who can shoot. Huggins has transformed them into a more athletic group that attacks defensively and rebounds and the result turned out to be quite substantial. I expect this team next year could be unbelievable if they develop a backup point guard during the year. (some size would help too) I hope that Huggins sees the results of his teaching of these players and it has a direct effect on the type of player he tries to recruit. Either way, I think we'll be successful. But will we be able to be as proud of our team as we are right now?

    3 comments:

    Greg said...

    Agreed. His future recruiting will largely determine the pride the state takes in the program. I'm not interested in championships if the price is THUG U. He did a miraculous job with this bunch and he certainly has some inside strength coming in with his new recruits.

    wvlawgeek said...

    I am as excited about the future of this team as I can be. I am not as concearned about the "thug-u" tag as Greg though. I think that coach Huggs will look at the quality of this group and see that "smart" guys can be tough too. However, I believe that the three in-comming freshman will bring the team to a nine-deep look. That is a nice place to be.
    Da Geek

    Anonymous said...

    Alexander is expected to announce this week that he'll be returning for his senior season.

    Youtube Highlights for South Florida Game

    Big East Champions

    Bruce Irvin

    Pat White 15 Touchdowns Just to remind you of how fun scoring can be...

    Geno Smith Video By Dougitydog

    How important are early verbal commitments?

    How many pushups do you predict Brock will press in Marshall game?