WV Law Geek's Twitter Updates

    follow me on Twitter

    Saturday, October 23, 2010

    The Coaches Have Their Say.

    The banners have been raised and a new hoops season is almost upon us. The first coaches poll was released earlier this week and WVU was only to be found on the outside of the top 25. I've been eagerly awaiting the first polls for months. From everything I've been reading in the offseason, it has been pointing towards WVU not being in the top 25 at the beginning of the year. I suppose I just wanted to see for myself if the voters would really be that foolish.

    I looked at what was returning in the Big East and I personally would have picked us either 3rd or 4th in the preaseason. But alas we were picked to finish 5th which isn't so terrible. After hearing that news, I was hopeful that we might make the preseason top 25 as surely the voters would have enough sense to rank more than 4 teams from the BE. The coaches, so far at least, don't appear to have enough sense. We'll see if the sportswriters are any smarter. I say this because I am completely confident that the 'Eers will be very strong again this year with strong leadership and an unbelievably improved back court. There will be huge shoes to fill, unquestionably, but there are also aspects of the game that this years team will likely be stronger at as well. And it's hard to believe that a Huggins' coached team will fall off too much defensively regardless of who is on the court. So let's hear some predictions. I'll get it started and say that entering the NCAA tourney, we'll be in the top 12 and finish 3rd in the BE reg season.
    Weezie

    3 comments:

    Greg said...

    4th or 5th in the BE and 20th in the country. Kilickli scares me on D. Losing Ebanks is a defensive blow. Desean meant a lot to the team as a leader and a clutch shooter. His loss alone is probably worth 4 or 5 wins.

    Anonymous said...

    I'm not too worried about the D. Kilicli will either play much better or he won't be out there. (which would certainly cost the offense.) I was thinking about what you are saying about Butler the other day. It is pretty difficult to find 6 game winning shots on your roster. I guess I'm hoping the drastically improved guard play to this year will make up for some of that. I do realize that, under Huggins, we haven't exactly been an offensive juggernaut.

    wvlawgeek said...

    I am more than a little optimistic about this years team. So once again the coaches spurn us. I am okay with that. We need only win the first tourney and we will be back into the top 15 or 20. We spank UNC and all is well. I agree with Weezie about guard-play I think it will produce. I think defensively we have a lot of talent on that side of the ball. The Turk will produce on both sides of the ball and Dan Jennings/John Flowers and Cam T. will bring it on the defensive side of the ball when we need those minutes. I see us as a legit Elite 8 team right now. As Greg said a 4th or 5th place Big East team is a top 20 team. Anyway, this is a lot easier to talk about than Eer Football.

    Youtube Highlights for South Florida Game

    Big East Champions

    Bruce Irvin

    Pat White 15 Touchdowns Just to remind you of how fun scoring can be...

    Geno Smith Video By Dougitydog

    How important are early verbal commitments?

    How many pushups do you predict Brock will press in Marshall game?